DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Alarm System Blues With First Gen's

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  RjccVIII 
#1 ·
Ok so im sure everyone has heard of my latest issues with my 95 3.3 and it not starting. Well after a long walk $600 and a headache later.. i came across some information about first gens that I feel everyone should know. If you have an alarm installed.. factory or after market no matter what kind you are going to have issues with the sensors and the computers in our cars.. Dodge is very aware of this and fixed the issue in 98 but never fixed the issue with our cars.. Something with the way the alarm systems send information through the circuits it causes shorts between the crankshaft and the powerdrive train.. this causing codes to pop into the computer and cause issues with the car.. replacing the computer will temporarly fix this issue as well as replacing the crankshaft sensor.. usually gives 6 months before it happens again.. I have confirmed this with Dodge and some other inside sources. They assured me that with the 98 models and up the issue has been fixed but the first gens have to suffer. So if your going to put an alarm in your car good luck to ya.. ive gone through 4 computers 2 crankshaft sensors and 2 alarms before i got this information out of dodge.. we are talking about $2000 worth of labor and equipment over a glitch.. :eek:

#3 ·
well as they reported that some first gens have no issues but there is about 73% that will experience this... unfortunately they told me even the factory installed alarms cause this.. i had the factory alarm and had issues had the crankshaft sensor replaced and replaced the computer.. then had the factory alarm removed and had a viper installed.. well i am having the same issues again.. its just a warning.. like i said good luck to those with alarms... hope you arent one of the 73% like myself.

#5 ·
Man I had some many damn problems with my factory piece of **** alarm when I first got the car. I really honestly hate it. I do not even think the piece of **** works right now. I am going to eventually get a Viper Alarm with remote start and all the goodies.

Did I mention I hate my damn factory alarm. =)

#6 ·
i got a viper alarm with all the goodies and thats whats causing my problems right now.. my car is still at the dealers.. after they replaced my computer and crankshaft sensor they are removing the viper alarm and ill get my car back today.... they told me it will happen with any alarm...

#8 ·
well the guy at dodge pulled out a stack of papers that were all the same issues.. over a period of time. they were all first gen intrepids.. because i raised the issue that they were rippin me off..

#9 ·
what has happened to you Ravage25 reinforces my idea that my car alarms(2 on my trep, factory and aftermarket) are why my car wont start some times.
every once in a wile(very rare) I'll go to leave and the car wont start. I go back inside let both alarms rearm wait about 5min go back out and the car will start right up.
Like I said it's very rare, but Ive always thought some thing was screwed up with one of the alarms kill switch.

#11 ·
well i got my car back and they ripped out my alarm.. i dont know if i want to have it put back in or not.. i think i am goin to just get the remote locks done..... so if anyone is interested im gonna sell my viper esp 100 for $150

#13 ·
Dealer installed alarm on my '96 freaks out occasionally. (Won't start until I arm/disarm alarm, going off when I leave the doors open, won't disable, can't get it to go into valet mode at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.